- A distinctive type of vegetation found only on the southern tip of Africa. It includes a wide range of plant species, particularly small heatherlike trees and shrubs.More example sentences
- Climate change, sprawl, and alien-species invasion are threatening South Africa's fynbos, the main vegetation type of the smallest, yet richest, of the world's six floral kingdoms.
- Alpha diversity of grassland at the 1000 m plot level exceeds all other biomes in southern Africa, including the renowned Cape fynbos, and the biome as a whole contains almost 4000 plant species.
- Essop said the government was also concerned that indigenous plants, or fynbos, had been destroyed at Pinnacle Point in Mossel Bay, where a casino and golf estate are being built.
Afrikaans, literally 'fine bush'.
More definitions of fynbosDefinition of fynbos in:
- The British & World English dictionary