Definition of gadroon in English:
A decorative edging on metal or wood, typically formed by inverted flutings.
- Wire was applied until the mid-1820's, the technique having run concurrently with applied decorative borders - first the bead, then the gadroon and finally, the foliate and shell motifs - since the 1790's.
- Notice how alternating floral blossoms on bifurcated stems are superimposed on the flutes between each of the gadroons.
- Furthermore, the gadroon is filled up with a welt, and the welt covers the stitching in the gadroon.
- 1gadrooned adjective
- Example sentences
- The gadrooned column and lobed bun feet of the games table illustrated in Figure 5 are typical of the heavy silhouettes associated with the late 1820s and the 1830s, and the use of ebony or ebonized wood emphasizes these elements.
- In both pattern books and extant artifacts, quilted feathers resemble the gadrooned edgings of seventeenth-and eighteenth-century furniture and fine metalwares.
- The edges and joints are dressed with slender sterling silver wire, both plain and delicately gadrooned, which more durably conceals the copper at the edges than plated moldings.
- 2gadrooning noun
- Example sentences
- The delicate gadrooning on the foot and lid rim and the bell-shaped finial are features of the late phases of the rococo style and were fashionable in Philadelphia silver made just prior to the American Revolution.
- The unorthodox carved decoration of the ears of the crest rail and the gadrooning applied under the seat rails as well as the modern-looking surface led some scholars to conclude that this set was out of period.
- Many are decorated with a different pattern on either side of the handle, usually gadrooning on one side and repeated circular dimples on the other.
Late 17th century: from French godron, probably related to goder 'to pucker', also to godet.
Definition of gadroon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.