Definition of Gaia in English:
2The earth viewed as a vast self-regulating organism.
[ 1970s: coined by James Lovelock, at the suggestion of the writer William Golding, from the name of the goddess Gaia]
- He advocated its use to alter the insect life of earth in order to venture beyond the homeostasis concept to the mythical state of Gaia.
- But the life span of Gaia has to be measured in hundreds of millions, even in billions, of years.
- If Gaia didn't luck upon the right system for that problem on the first try, things would quickly become grim.
- Gaiannoun& adjective
- Example sentences
- I would be a creature of the earth, primordial, unblemished, Gaian.
- If you have felt commanded by the Divine Imperative to protect Earth from planetary destruction, then you have undergone the first stage of a Gaian initiation.
- However, in its Gaian mode, as a self-organizing, balancing system it shows harmonies, creative emergence and the sustenance of life.
Words that rhyme with Gaiaacquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
Definition of Gaia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.