Definition of galactic in English:
1Of or relating to a galaxy or galaxies, especially the Milky Way galaxy.
- The galactic centre of our galaxy is one of Integral's prime targets.
- Why, given its exceedingly smooth beginnings, is the universe so clumpy, on all scales from galaxies to galactic superclusters?
- The cyclical nature of our weather changes point to the variables in our solar system and even galactic variations.
1.1 Astronomy Measured relative to the galactic equator.
- Out past Fomalhaut, toward the south galactic pole, the stars fade.
- This map is plotted in galactic coordinates - the plane of the Milky Way galaxy passes across the middle of this chart with the zero point of galactic latitude and longitude pointing directly at the galactic centre.
Mid 19th century: from Greek galaktias (variant of galaxias 'galaxy') + -ic.
Words that rhyme with galacticanaphylactic, ataractic, autodidactic, chiropractic, climactic, didactic, lactic, prophylactic, syntactic, tactic
Definition of galactic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.