noun (plural galeae /-lēˌē/ or galeas)Botany & Zoology
- A structure shaped like a helmet.More example sentences
- As the periosteum and galea reaffix in their new, higher positions, the body absorbs the device.
- The galeae are hollow yet contain muscles, tracheae, nerves and an open circulatory system.
- When feeding the honey bee dips its tongue into the nectar which adheres and the the tongue is retracted so that adhering liquid is carried into the space between the galeae and labial palps.
mid 19th century: from Latin, literally 'helmet'.
More definitions of galeaDefinition of galea in:
- The British & World English dictionary