Definition of galingale in English:
1A Eurasian sedge with an aromatic rhizome, formerly used in perfumes.
[ Late 16th century: variant of galangal]
- Cyperus longus, family Cyperaceae
- When we speak of nutsedges, umbrella-sedges or galingales, we're referring to species in the genus Cyperus.
- The sweet galingale with its terminal umbels of stiff spiky leaves has bent over double.
- Gerard's English galingale is a sedge and was known as Cyperus longus by physicians and herbalists long before Linnaeus made the name ‘official’.
Definition of galingale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.