Definition of gallinule in English:
A marsh bird of the rail family, with mainly black, purplish-blue, or dark green plumage, and a red bill.
- Genera Porphyrio and Porphyrula (or Gallinula), family Rallidae: several species, including the purple gallinule (Porphyrula martinica), found from the southeastern US to Argentina. See also moorhen
- Gender-biased incubation patterns in the rails and gallinules are poorly known, but male nocturnal incubation has been documented in several species, including at least one that is not considered a joint layer.
- In a familiar oxbow lake, there were gallinules and egrets, even a couple of brightly colored wood ducks and five blue-winged teal.
- It's a takahe, an extraordinary, huge flightless gallinule long believed to be extinct until rediscovered in a remote mountain range 50 years ago.
Definition of gallinule in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia