A leg, especially in reference to the shapeliness of a woman’s leg.
- What better spokesperson for landmine awareness than a foxy mama with shapely gams?
- In Men with Arrows, a tousle-haired youngster ponders the cleavage and shapely gams of his young mom as she squats to pick up laundry; behind them hover images of an upscale tract home and a Mercury capsule parachuting into the sea.
- She sings and shows a lot of cleavage (well, as much as was allowed at the time) and a clinging black sequined gown accents her shapely gams.
Late 18th century: probably a variant of the heraldic term gamb, which denotes a charge representing an animal's leg, from Old Northern French gambe 'leg'.
Words that rhyme with gamam, Amsterdam, Assam, Bram, cam, cham, cheongsam, clam, cram, dam, damn, drachm, dram, exam, femme, flam, glam, gram, ham, jam, jamb, lam, lamb, mam, mesdames, Omar Khayyám, Pam, pram, pro-am, ram, Sam, scam, scram, sham, Siam, slam, Spam, swam, tam, tram, Vietnam, wham, yam
2A social meeting or informal conversation (originally one among whalers at sea).
- Crews normally visit each other during a gam, captains on one vessel and chief mates on the other.
- On the high seas, ships whose paths crossed held a gam, during which the men exchanged news, jokes, out-of-date periodicals, letters to be forwarded, and tales of the occasional bull sperm whale who head-butted his persecutors instead of dying quietly.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.