- 1 • informal A gang member.More example sentences
- Let's fast-forward from the Vibe Awards to the Source Awards, another show where the thugs, gangstas and pimps made their presence felt.
- He's pure street and the real thugs and gangstas on lockdown respect that.
- While original gangstas like NWA presented graphic dispatches from LA gang turf where few reporters were brave enough to tread, he has been sold as a GI Joe doll with real bullet holes.
- 2 (also gangsta rap) A type of rap music featuring aggressive lyrics, often with reference to gang violence.More example sentences
- While European rap artists may listen to U.S. gangsta rap, their own lyrics are expected to represent their own social environment.
- Gangsta rap is differentiable from other rap music in that gangsta rap makes use of images of urban life that are often associated with crime.
- From this we can infer that the transgressed boundary in line 1 is indeed that of hip-hop music generally, and probably gangsta rap specifically.
1980s: alteration of gangster.
More definitions of gangstaDefinition of gangsta in:
- The British & World English dictionary