Definition of gangster in English:
A member of a gang of violent criminals.
- The McLean gang member said the gangster had used Customs to clear the way for his own criminal activities.
- In fact, many people believe gangsters and hoodlums are vicious and violent by nature.
- Great crimes can also be committed by gangsters and petty criminals - if they have the necessary power.
- Example sentences
- This is a counterrevolutionary organization, with a long history of gangsterism and thuggery against any and all left-wing political opponents.
- The paramilitary organisations on both sides have long since been political fronts for gangsterism and racketeering.
- A teeming mass of activity, Hillbrow is seen by many as a place where the entirety of South Africa's evils can be found, an epitome of drug dealings, prostitution, gangsterism, illegal immigrants, squalor and crime.