1A building or shed for housing a motor vehicle or vehicles.
- Ensure all doors and windows are secured and buildings like sheds, garages and outhouses have good quality locks and even alarms fitted.
- We built office buildings, parking garages, and prisons.
- Many fires started when lava ignited gasoline stored in buildings and garages in this eastern Congo town.
1.1An establishment that provides services and repairs for motor vehicles.
- But perhaps the main reason why most people shy away from LPG conversions is that it is sometimes difficult to find a garage that sells the fuel.
- The study in France found a link between cases of acute leukaemia among youngsters and how close they lived to a petrol station or a garage carrying out car repairs.
- The garage is selling petrol at 97.9 cent per litre.
service station, gas station
2 (also garage rock) A style of unpolished energetic rock music associated with suburban amateur bands: [as modifier]: garage band
More example sentences
- After literally half an hour The Kills left the stage but in such a short time they had certainly convinced the audience that they are not just another garage rock band looking to make a fast buck on the style bandwagon.
- Its rough and edgy production makes the record sound perfect for the demented brand of new wave garage rock the band were practicing at the time.
- Nearly three years ago, they had hopped on the Whites Stripes wagon of American garage rock under a band name of Pavor.
Put or keep (a motor vehicle) in a garage.
- During the trial period the test car was not garaged, but exposed to moderately cold Michigan weather and one light snowfall.
- Sadly it seems that unless your car is garaged overnight you may, in future, have to take a quick peek at the front of your motor each morning to check that all is well.
- She let her employment contract run out, rented out her house and garaged the car.
Early 20th century: from French, from garer 'to shelter'.
This is an adoption of a French word, from garer ‘to shelter’.
Words that rhyme with garagebarrage
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.