Definition of garfish in English:
noun (plural same or garfishes)
Any of a number of long, slender fish with elongated beaklike jaws containing sharply pointed teeth.
- ● A marine fish (family Belonidae, in particular the common European Belone belone; also called needlefish or garpike). ● A freshwater fish (family Lepisosteidae and genus Lepisosteus; also called gar or garpike).
- Moray eels, garfish and trumpetfish were roaming and snapping at a plethora of potential prey.
- The garfish are extremely long fish, reaching around a metre in length, yet weighing only three pounds.
- The tank features thousands of herring, mackerel, garfish, and horse mackerel, which are found off the coast of Denmark.
Middle English: apparently from Old English gār 'spear' + fish1.
Words that rhyme with garfishstarfish
Definition of garfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan