Definition of garganey in English:
noun (plural same or garganeys)
A small Eurasian duck, the male of which has a dark brown head with a white stripe from the eye to the neck.
- Anas querquedula, family Anatidae
- For every obvious crossbill, razorbill, greenfinch, woodpecker, warbler, treecreeper, swift or flycatcher there is a mysterious wigeon, garganey, gadwall, bittern, siskin, pipit, shrike or twite.
- On the other hand, it could be something rare like a garganey, falcated teal or an emperor goose.
- Bird species like garganey, gadwall, mallard, shoveller, pintail and wigeon use the lake in transit.
mid 17th century: from Italian dialect garganei, of imitative origin.
Definition of garganey in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India