- 1A strong-smelling pungent-tasting bulb, used as a flavoring in cooking and in herbal medicine.More example sentences
- Thai Rice Noodles is dressed in coconut hoisin sauce and garlic chili paste.
- We were also occasionally served bread slices spread with garlic butter.
- The garlic butter in which the mushrooms are cooked will help the flavour of the pastry enormously.
- 2The plant, closely related to the onion, that produces this bulb.
More example sentences
- Allium sativum, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
- The family includes many familiar plant friends such as garlic, onion, asparagus tulip.
- A member of the lily family, asparagus is also related to onions, leeks and garlic.
- We also found that high consumption of onions and garlic, the allium family, was protective.
- More example sentences
- They don't stand on ceremony here, so the entrée arrives midway though our salad plate of crunchy sweet picked beets, garlicky beans and carrots and unassuming potato salad.
- As the name implies, the skins are silvery-white and the taste is mild & garlicky.
- This is a guy who can create a lovely, relatively simple snapper dish by sautéing a fillet in diet-friendly olive oil and topping it with a garlicky mix of tomatoes and briny capers.
Old English gārlēac, from gār 'spear' (because the shape of a clove resembles the head of a spear) + lēac 'leek'.