- 2 Law A court order directing that money or property of a third party (usually wages paid by an employer) be seized to satisfy a debt owed by a debtor to a plaintiff creditor.More example sentences
- Wage garnishment is a creditor collection tool that a delinquent debtor can escape by filing for bankruptcy.
- In September the plaintiff attempted garnishment on what he thought was the defendant's banker.
- When the bank learned of the plaintiffs' action against these defendants, it issued garnishments against each of the three defendants in June 2003.
More definitions of garnishmentDefinition of garnishment in:
- The British & World English dictionary