Definition of gasbag in English:
1 informal A person who talks too much, typically about unimportant things.
- The members passed an enormous tax cut in the teeth of a recession - taking us from surplus to deficit so quickly that not even the talk-radio gasbags could convincingly pin the blame on our all-weather scapegoat.
- Via Matt, I read this post by him on the Spanish elections and ensuing charges of ‘appeasement,’ by the hysterical gasbags on the right.
- The point is, you can get political discussion and debate from all sides without ever even thinking about bloated gasbags like Bill or Al.
2The container holding the gas in a balloon or airship.
- My guess is, they're able to make better gasbags.
- Right at the top of the map, are a few multi-coloured balloons, perhaps reflecting the increasing trend of advertisers using colourful gasbags.
- The much smaller Goodyear blimp, and others like it, have no rigid structure inside the gasbag, and rely on gas pressure to hold the bag in shape.
Words that rhyme with gasbagmanbag • ratbag • air bag • mailbag
Definition of gasbag in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.