(also gelada baboon)
noun (plural same or geladas)
- A brownish baboon with a long mane and naked red rump, native to Ethiopia.
More example sentences
- Theropithecus gelada, family Cercopithecidae
- We also repeated some analyses with data from the researchers, who used foraging-group size for the gelada and hamadryas baboon.
- Similar trends have also been observed for gelada baboons (Theropithecus gelada), in which altitude, which is highly correlated with ambient temperature, was found to correlate negatively with birth rate.
- The current world population of geladas is estimated to be between 100,000-200,000, but subpopulations are isolated, and the species is listed by the United States Endangered Species Act as Threatened.
mid 19th century: from Amharic č῾äallada.
More definitions of geladaDefinition of gelada in:
- The British & World English dictionary