(also gelada baboon)
Definition of gelada in English:
noun (plural same or geladas)
A brownish baboon with a long mane and naked red rump, native to Ethiopia.
- Theropithecus gelada, family Cercopithecidae
- We also repeated some analyses with data from the researchers, who used foraging-group size for the gelada and hamadryas baboon.
- Similar trends have also been observed for gelada baboons (Theropithecus gelada), in which altitude, which is highly correlated with ambient temperature, was found to correlate negatively with birth rate.
- The current world population of geladas is estimated to be between 100,000-200,000, but subpopulations are isolated, and the species is listed by the United States Endangered Species Act as Threatened.
Mid 19th century: from Amharic č῾äallada.
Words that rhyme with geladaardour (US ardor), armada, Bader, cadre, carder, cicada, Dalriada, enchilada, Garda, Granada, Haggadah, Hamada, intifada, lambada, larder, Masada, Nevada, panada, piña colada, pousada, promenader, retarder, Scheherazade, Theravada, Torquemada, tostada
Definition of gelada in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan