Definition of gelatinize in English:
1Make or become gelatinous or jellylike.
- Heat causes the air to expand and make the cake rise; eventually protein and starch in the liquid phase of the cake coagulate and gelatinize, giving what in scientific terms is a stable foam and in common parlance a cake.
- In 1888, Alfred Nobel took smokeless powder production to a new plateau by using nitroglycerin to gelatinize nitrocellulose, thereby producing a new commercial smokeless powder named ‘Ballistite.’
- They found that each of the shrub's flowers produces a single clear jellylike pellet, formed when the plant's inner wall swells and gelatinizes as it comes in contact with nectar.
1.1 [with object] (usually as adjective gelatinized) Coat with gelatin: gelatinized glass microscope slides
More example sentences
- Smokeless explosives such as cordite, first produced in England in 1889, used gelatinized nitrocellulose, or gun cotton, mixed with minerals and nitroglycerine; stabilizers were later added.
- Cells were then seeded on a gelatinized slide, stained with 0.1% Mayers hematoxylin and analysed by optical microscopy.
- Sections were cut at - 18° and placed onto gelatinized slides.
- Example sentences
- The calculation of the conductivity and the degree of starch gelatinization is outlined hereinafter.
- By definition, gelatinization is a phenomena which takes place in the presence of heat and moisture.
- The entire process is known as the gelatinisation of starch and is very important in cooking.
Words that rhyme with gelatinizemasculinize • vitaminize
Definition of gelatinize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan