Definition of gene in English:
1(In informal use) a unit of heredity that is transferred from a parent to offspring and is held to determine some characteristic of the offspring: proteins coded directly by genes
More example sentences
- Karma helps to imprint a code on the soul, similar to the genetic code on the genes.
- Nowadays, the phrase is extended to mean the ability to pass on one's genes to one's offspring.
- The condition is rare and is caused by the inheritance of an abnormal gene from an affected parent.
1.1(In technical use) a distinct sequence of nucleotides forming part of a chromosome, the order of which determines the order of monomers in a polypeptide or nucleic acid molecule which a cell (or virus) may synthesize.
- Proteins encoded by the abnormal genes are then identified and their interactions studied by pathway analyses and probable functions deduced.
- The accessory gland protein-coding genes were isolated in such a way that favors overrepresentation of highly expressed genes.
- Each of these species contains opsin genes which are not expressed in the adult retina.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan