(also genipap tree /ˈjenəˌpap/)
Definition of genipapo in English:
noun (plural genipapos)
1A tropical American tree of the bedstraw family that yields useful timber. Its fruit has a jellylike pulp that is used for flavoring drinks and to make a black dye. Also called genip.
- Genipa americana, family Rubiaceae
- The heavy leaf fall of the genipap is important in improving the soil of the plantation.
- The Kayapo wear intricate beadwork and headdresses in ceremonies and decorate their bodies with dye coming from the plants genipapo and urucu.
- The hillsides are intensely covered by molle pepper trees, ferns and genipaps that make a deep contrast with the grey and pink coloured rocks.
1.1A drink, flavoring, or dye made from the genipapo fruit.
- They are famous for tattooing around their mouths with genipapo, a black dye made from an Amazonian fruit.
- They also collect large quantities of genipapo for body painting, vines for fishing, and a great variety of medicinal plants.
- They have their bodies painted with annatto dye and genipap.
Definition of genipapo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan