- A broad-spectrum antibiotic used chiefly for severe systemic infections.
More example sentences
- This antibiotic is derived from bacteria of the genus Micromonospora
- Some antibiotics, such as gentamicin, penicillin G, tetracycline, methicillin, erythromycin, and vancomycin, are not compatible with heparin.
- Treatment with ampicillin supplemented with gentamicin or tobramycin for two to six weeks is best.
- The preferred and most effective drug of choice to treat tularemia is streptomycin or gentamicin.
mid 20th century: from genta- (of unknown origin) + -micin (alteration of -mycin).
More definitions of gentamicinDefinition of gentamicin in:
- The British & World English dictionary