A giant mud-burrowing bivalve mollusk occurring on the west coast of North America, where it is collected for food. Its shell valves are not large enough to enclose its body and very long siphon.
- Panopea generosa, family Hyatellidae
More example sentences
- Common and widely available clam varieties from the Pacific Coast include geoducks, littlenecks, and Manila clams.
- Efforts were made in the 19th century to establish geoducks on the Atlantic coast, but they failed.
- The prized geoduck - the largest burrowing clam in the world - is occasionally found among the gaper clams in Tomales Bay.
late 19th century: from Puget Sound Salish.
Definition of geoduck in:
- The British & World English dictionary