Definition of geometer in English:
1A person skilled in geometry.
- Halley suggested to him that he might devote his considerable talents to the restoration of the work of the early Greek geometers, such as Euclid and Apollonius of Perga.
- Our greatest debt to Lefschetz lies in the fact that he showed us that a study of topology was essential for all algebraic geometers.
- The issue of how to help students get started learning algebraic geometry is a question that almost every practicing algebraic geometer would answer differently.
2 (also geometer moth) Entomology A geometrid moth or its caterpillar.
- The body of geometer moths is thin and more fragile looking than in other macromoths.
- The larva of geometer moths, the familiar inchworms, feed on mulberry leaves.
- Little is known of the life history of the larvae of geometer moths.
Definition of geometer in:
- British & World English dictionary