(also geometrical isomer)
Definition of geometric isomer in English:
Each of two or more compounds that differ from each other in the arrangement of groups with respect to a double bond, ring, or other rigid structure.
- He used the theory to predict the existence of geometric isomers, two forms of a compound that differ from each other only in the position of a single atom, ion, or group of atoms.
- CLA is a mixture of positional and geometric isomers of linoleic acid and has been reported to inhibit various chemical-induced cancers in rodent models.
- The naming of geometrical isomers reflects the position of the atoms or groups on each of the carbon atoms in the double bond.
- geometric isomerism noun
- Example sentences
- Due to geometrical isomerism, two forms of polyethyne are produced: cis-polyethyne and trans-polyethyne.
- If there are two different attachments on each side of the double bond then geometrical isomerism results.
- Most cases of geometric isomerism are a result of molecule rigidity which prevents rotation about a double bond.
Definition of geometric isomer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.