Definition of geophysics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The physics of the earth.
- By 1960, a discrete version of these equations was being extensively used in electrical engineering and geophysics, their use continuing until the present day.
- Most crustal rocks of interest to exploration geophysics are either inherently anisotropic or behave as anisotropic materials when sampled by seismic waves.
- The extremely deep investigations of Tikhonov into a number of general problems in mathematical physics grew out of his interest in geophysics and electrodynamics.
- Example sentences
- Geologists and geophysicists aim to accurately constrain the architecture and facies variations at the lava flow scale.
- The Pacific plate is grinding counterclockwise to the North American plate, the chief geophysicist for the Oklahoma Geologic Survey said.
- Like bats using echolocation to navigate through the night, geophysicists rely on seismic waves for information on the Earth's deep interior.
Definition of geophysics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia