Definition of gerontocracy in English:
1A state, society, or group governed by old people.
- It's no surprise that American media organizations are gerontocracies.
- Some of your friends are amazed when you say this, but you reason that a gerontocracy can fashion the future for just so long.
- The author was, of course, the first to depict a totalitarian gerontocracy.
1.1Government based on rule by old people.
- We have to admit that stubborn gerontocracy has been a major obstacle to reforming politics due to the aged politicians' obstinacy and narrow-mindedness.
- The old nobility dominated the officer corps and, since there was no retirement system, gerontocracy prevailed: seniority counted for everything.
- This has been referred to as gerontocracy, but it may be preferable to see it as an expression of a link with past generations.
- Example sentences
- Inevitably, the gerontocrats began to die off: Suslov, Brezhnev, Andropov, Ustinov, and Chernenko.
- Don't forget that we gerontocrats who were reading it as it happened had to wait a month, at least, between issues.
- It would not be difficult to characterise him as some grumpy gerontocrat with a giant chip on his shoulder.
- Example sentences
- Bureaucratization and gerontocratic tendencies characterized the party.
- It was the first movement of solidarity where the new young generation asked for their place in a society which had become gerontocratic.
- This topsy-turvy logic of children having the power to subordinate adults as their bona led to the gerontocratic reversals of the civil wars.
Words that rhyme with gerontocracyadhocracy, aristocracy, autocracy, bureaucracy, democracy, gynaecocracy (US gynecocracy), hierocracy, hypocrisy, meritocracy, mobocracy, monocracy, plutocracy, technocracy, theocracy
Definition of gerontocracy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan