1Carry a fetus in the womb from conception to birth: rabbits gestate for approximately twenty-eight days [with object]: these individuals gestate male-based litters
More example sentences
- One person - the father - contributes genetic material and the other - the mother - contributes genetic material as well as gestates and gives birth to the child.
- It would be possible for one partner to donate the egg, for the other partner to donate the cell nucleus with its DNA, and for the first partner to gestate and give birth to the child.
- So how close are we to creating fully functioning artificial wombs, capable of gestating a human child from the embryonic stage to the fetal stage to a state of viability?
1.1(Of a fetus) undergo gestation.
- Sometimes you can just see it in their faces, that they want to ask me if I have a fetus gestating in there, but that they don't quite dare.
- The new embryo would then be implanted in the uterus of a pregnant mouse, chimpanzee, or human to gestate until birth.
- In 2170, when the first batch of Gammas was gestating in their artificial wombs, removing the irillium was proposed.
1.2Develop over a long period: a research trip he made while gestating his new book
More example sentences
- In all the years since then he has been gestating this tremendous book about a city unique not just in Europe, but in the entire history of humanity.
- Fortunately, Oliver likes to gestate her evening-length dances over a long period and says she feels that this process melds well with the demands of university life.
- Example sentences
- This was a classic discussion of team structures and gestative processes in software engineering.
- There was some way to do this… at least the technology was in its gestative stage when I'd read about it around 3-4 years ago.
- He is also heading up an effort in a campaign in Arizona to ban the confinement of calves in veal grates and breeding pigs in small gestative crates.
Mid 19th century: from Latin gestat- 'carried in the womb', from the verb gestare.
Words that rhyme with gestateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of gestate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.