Definition of get a fix on in English:
1Determine the position of (something) by visual or radio bearings or astronomical observation.
- It doesn't stop after a minute or two, so I go outside, get a fix on the position, and call 911.
- You may end up having to tell a human operator where you are if the system cannot get a fix on your phone.
- ‘Helm get a fix on our location’ the captain ordered the lieutenant at the navigational station.
1.1 informal Assess or determine the nature or facts of; obtain a clear understanding of: it is hard to get a fix on their ages
More example sentences
- ‘The market is a bit dead at the moment, so it's hard to get a fix on the value of the property,’ says Kevin.
- The figures I've just shown you don't have anything to do with white collar crime quite obviously, and there are real problems getting a fix on whether white collar crime has grown.
- Something as basic as a graphic showing how growth is going, whether at national or European level, is an instant, relatively easy way to get a fix on how the economy is moving.
Definition of get a fix on in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan