Definition of giant tortoise in English:
A very large tortoise with a long lifespan, occurring on several tropical oceanic islands.
- Genus Geochelone, family Testudinidae: G. nigra (Galapagos Islands) and G. gigantea (Aldabra and the Seychelles)
- This past year, I decided to return to the Galapagos for an intense four-month photo session among old friends such as giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.
- Darwin also learned that locals could tell from which islands giant tortoises had come by the shapes of the reptiles' shells.
- The third aquarium would house more than 50 species of freshwater sharks and rays, as well as enclosures for Komodo dragons and giant tortoises.
Definition of giant tortoise in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan