- A wood or metal bolt, wedge, or pin for holding part of a machine or structure in place, usually adjusted by a screw or key: [as modifier]: gib screwsMore example sentences
- A door was created by making one section of panelling into a gib door.
- The blocks have an angle fit on the inside of the Tee Rings, and an extra adjustable gib to compensate for wear.
- The table slides on the planed ways of the pedestal, and is provided with a steel gib for taking up possible wear.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Fasten (parts) together with a gib.More example sentences
- Both wheels are mounted on a heavy circular carriage, gibbed to the main frame, with take-up for wear.
late 18th century: of unknown origin.