Definition of gibbon in English:
A small, slender tree-dwelling ape with long powerful arms and loud hooting calls, native to the forests of Southeast Asia. See also white-handed gibbon.
- Family Hylobatidae and genus Hylobates: several species
- Those species were chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, gibbon, macaque and owl monkey.
- Today it comprises humans, the gibbons, and the great apes (orangutan, chimpanzee, and gorilla).
- Only five percent of mammals are thought to be socially monogamous, including gibbons, jackals, and tamarins.
late 18th century: from French, from an Indian dialect word.
Words that rhyme with gibbonribbon
Definition of gibbon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan