(British also gigatonne)
- A unit of explosive force equal to one billion (109) tons of trinitrotoluene (TNT).More example sentences
- Britain's BBC reports that an annual emission of 29 gigatons of CO2 would mean 'the mass death of forests, with the trees releasing the CO2 they had stored up, adding to global warming instead of restraining it.'
- The protocol will only come into force after it is signed by at least 55 countries whose total greenhouse gas emissions accounted for at least 55 percent of global emissions in 1990, which was 13.7 gigatons.
- Nature produces silica on a scale of gigatons - thousands of millions of tons - thousands-fold more than man can produce, said Morse.
More definitions of gigatonDefinition of gigaton in:
- The British & World English dictionary