- 1The process of applying gold leaf or gold paint.More example sentences
- Gold leaf used in gilding is made in much the same way.
- The dome restoration was made possible by two private gifts that funded all of the gold leaf used in the gilding as well as other parts of the restoration.
- With this in mind she was determined to completely remove all dirt and corrosion from the domes before the gilding began and pioneered a method to do so.
- 1.1The material used in, or the surface produced by applying gold leaf or gold paint.More example sentences
- Later dessert flatware, whether matching the dinner service or not, often had extra embellishment in the form of gilding and/or engraving.
- The public rooms are short on marble and gilding, and long on rustic wood panelling.
- The Rococo style, characterized by lavish ornamentation, organic forms and the use of gilding, grew to its height in 18th century France.
More definitions of gildingDefinition of gilding in:
- The British & World English dictionary