Definition of gilding in English:
1The process of applying gold leaf or gold paint.
- Gold leaf used in gilding is made in much the same way.
- The dome restoration was made possible by two private gifts that funded all of the gold leaf used in the gilding as well as other parts of the restoration.
- With this in mind she was determined to completely remove all dirt and corrosion from the domes before the gilding began and pioneered a method to do so.
1.1The material used in, or the surface produced by applying gold leaf or gold paint.
- Later dessert flatware, whether matching the dinner service or not, often had extra embellishment in the form of gilding and/or engraving.
- The public rooms are short on marble and gilding, and long on rustic wood panelling.
- The Rococo style, characterized by lavish ornamentation, organic forms and the use of gilding, grew to its height in 18th century France.
Definition of gilding in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia