Definition of gill net in English:
A fishing net that is hung vertically so that fish get trapped in it by their gills.
- Speaking as a former bailiff in the region, I can assure you that many island crofters prefer the use of a gill net to a fishing rod.
- The monofilament gill net is an unforgiving device, designed to snag and tear the gills.
- The main focus of most efforts to restrict gear is the gill net, considered to be the main cause of the depletion of local fisheries.
- Example sentences
- He stated that he saw an 800 lb blue marlin in the fish-market in Dublin sometime in the mid 1980's when the Spanish and French gill-netters were hard at work off the Porcupine bank, south-west of Ireland.
- Government agencies are reportedly subsidizing gill-netters to remove the fish and pushing regulations that require anglers to keep and kill any bass they land.
- Over the last decade or so, an estimated 100,000 turtles have died on the Orissa coast, caught in the nets of trawlers and gill-netters that continue to illegally ply the waters during the nesting season.
Definition of gill net in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan