1A plant tuber credited with various tonic and medicinal properties, especially in East Asia.
- For this reason ginseng has been called the ‘king of tonic medicine’ in the Orient and a panacea in the West.
- Read on to learn more about ginseng's amazing healing properties.
- They have bought a lot of ginseng and other tonics to boost his nutrition intake.
2The plant from which ginseng is obtained, native to eastern Asia and North America.
- Genus Panax, family Araliaceae: several species, in particular the Asian P. pseudoginseng and the North American P. quinquefolius
- Harvest herb roots including bloodroot, chicory, ginseng, and golden seal in the fall, after the foliage fades.
- Panax ginseng is the herb most people are familiar with.
Mid 17th century: from Chinese rénshēn, from rén 'man' + shēn, a kind of herb (because of the supposed resemblance of the forked root to a person).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.