Definition of gizzard in English:
1A muscular, thick-walled part of a bird’s stomach for grinding food, typically with grit. Also called ventriculus.
- They have been known, like other members of this group, to swallow grit to help grind coarse food in their gizzards.
- Grit is used by many birds to help them grind their food in their gizzards.
- They draw out guts, pull livers, cut wings and gizzards, pop thigh bones.
1.1A muscular stomach of some fish, insects, mollusks, and other invertebrates.
- Two fish in the gizzard shad-access treatment (two different enclosures) died 8 days following the introduction of fish.
- In Florida, the diet was comprised mainly of fishes, with gizzard shad, bullhead catfish, and small bluegill particularly common.
- We conducted two mesocosm experiments to determine the effects of sediment feeding by gizzard shad and fish size on nutrient and phytoplankton dynamics.
Definition of gizzard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan