Definition of glanders in English:
plural noun[usually treated as singular]
A rare contagious disease that mainly affects horses, characterized by swellings below the jaw and mucous discharge from the nostrils.
- This disease is caused by the bacterium Pseudomonas mallei
- The Germans used anthrax and glanders against the horses and mules of the US Army and its Allies in World War I.
- Work was in progress, too, on other agents like brucellosis and glanders as well as on chemicals against plants, classified at the time as a form of biological, not chemical, warfare.
- In the first world war attempts were made to infect horses with glanders, and throughout history invading armies have poisoned wells and other water sources.
Words that rhyme with glandersLanders, Randers, sanders
Definition of glanders in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.