Definition of glass fiber in English:
1A filament of glass.
- The modulator makes it possible to switch off and on a tiny laser beam and direct it into an ultrathin glass fiber.
- A few vase sponges in the Caribbean have tiny calcium spicules that have an effect similar to that of glass fibre if rubbed against the softer parts of the skin.
- With the steady growth of cable TV, and these companies using glass fibre cables much closer to the end-user, the total length of fibre-optic cable now laid is much greater than this figure.
1.1chiefly British A strong plastic, textile, or other material containing embedded glass filaments for reinforcement.
- The material contains both glass fiber and mineral reinforcements.
- The hulls are laminated inside and outside with fibre reinforced plastic composed of glass fibre and carbon laminates bound with vinyl ester and polyester resin.
- The most important boron compound commercially is sodium borate, used in the manufacture of borosilicate glass, glass fiber insulation, and textile glass fiber.
Definition of glass fiber in:
- British & World English dictionary