Definition of glasswort in English:
A widely distributed salt-marsh plant with fleshy scalelike leaves. The ashes of the burned plant were formerly used in glassmaking. Also called samphire.
- Genus Salicornia, family Chenopodiaceae: several species
- It would have been a great convenience if everyone had agreed long ago to call marsh samphire by its alternative name glasswort (given because it used to be burned to provide alkali for glass-makers).
- Finally, I drove eastwards towards Sheppey, past Funton Creek, where reptilian glasswort plants replenish seed-stocks for hungry wildfowl, to Bedlam's Bottom to enjoy a glowing sunset.
- Salicornes (glasswort in English) are these wild little plants that grow in salt marshes.
Definition of glasswort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan