Definition of glauconite in English:
A greenish clay mineral of the illite group, found chiefly in marine sands.
- At the base of the Reading Formation are several metres of brown clay-rich sand with glauconite, flint pebbles and oyster shells.
- In addition, colors that can be produced by using mixtures of the just-mentioned basic pigments, in some cases along with glauconite and charred bone, are also noted and illustrated.
- Rounded 1 mm grains of glauconite occur in the Pentecost Sandstone.
- Example sentences
- The upper part comprises clay-rich glauconitic sands without shell debris, and with patchy areas of orange-brown and reddish - brown staining toward the top.
- The lowermost 6 m consist of dark grey-green glauconitic sands.
- The bones were preserved in a poorly consolidated, glauconitic sandy matrix that was easily removed using a dental pick and soft brush after initial consolidation of the bones with acrylic resin.
Definition of glauconite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.