- A bluish sodium-containing mineral of the amphibole group, found chiefly in schists and other metamorphic rocks.More example sentences
- The mineral glaucophane, for example, has a pleochroism scheme of colourless, lavender, and sky blue.
- Some melange inclusions locally preserve glaucophane overprinted by actinolite.
- Undated glaucophane schists in the suture zone in Transbaikalia confirm the operation of subduction processes.
mid 19th century: from German Glaukophan, from Greek glaukos 'bluish-green' + -phanēs 'shining'.
More definitions of glaucophaneDefinition of glaucophane in:
- The British & World English dictionary