- A sticky waterlogged soil lacking in oxygen, typically gray to blue in color.More example sentences
- The mottling does not have the classic red and grey colours of gley soils, typically formed in waterlogged soils.
- Seasonal water-table variation is invoked to account for the formation of characteristic gley soils.
- There is no record of more humid climate indicators (e.g. coals, gley sols, etc.).
1920s: from Ukrainian, literally 'sticky blue clay'; related to clay.
More definitions of gleyDefinition of gley in:
- The British & World English dictionary