- A barbed bristle on the areole of some cacti.More example sentences
- The spines grow from an areole covered with glochids, which are tiny, barbed spines characteristic of all Opuntia.
- After you have removed the glochids you can eat the fruit fresh, or prepare it in several ways.
- This is a highly magnified photograph of a glochid taken with a scanning electron microscope.
late 19th century: from Greek glōkhis, glōkhid- 'arrowhead'.
More definitions of glochidDefinition of glochid in:
- The British & World English dictionary