Definition of glomerulus in English:
noun (plural glomeruli-ˌlī)Anatomy & Biology
1.1A cluster of capillaries around the end of a kidney tubule, where waste products are filtered from the blood.
- The glomerulus filters the blood and the waste products are removed.
- Pressure of blood in the glomerulus causes fluid to filter into Bowman's capsule.
- IgA Nepropathy progressively ruins the kidneys' filtering units, called glomeruli.
- Example sentences
- By light microscopy, glomeruli showed glomerular basement membrane thickening.
- This force drives plasma from the glomerular capillaries into the nephrons.
- Jones silver stains highlighted the basement membrane spikes in some, but not all, glomerular capillaries.
Definition of glomerulus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.