noun (plural glomeruli /-ˌlī/)Anatomy & Biology
- 1.1A cluster of capillaries around the end of a kidney tubule, where waste products are filtered from the blood.More example sentences
- The glomerulus filters the blood and the waste products are removed.
- Pressure of blood in the glomerulus causes fluid to filter into Bowman's capsule.
- IgA Nepropathy progressively ruins the kidneys' filtering units, called glomeruli.
- More example sentences
- By light microscopy, glomeruli showed glomerular basement membrane thickening.
- This force drives plasma from the glomerular capillaries into the nephrons.
- Jones silver stains highlighted the basement membrane spikes in some, but not all, glomerular capillaries.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, diminutive of Latin glomus, glomer- 'ball of thread'.
More definitions of glomerulusDefinition of glomerulus in:
- The British & World English dictionary