- 1A simple sugar that is an important energy source in living organisms and is a component of many carbohydrates.
More example sentences
- A hexose; chemical formula: C6H12O6
- Yeasts also contain a natural enzyme which will convert sucrose to its component glucose and fructose.
- The procedure is based on the cleavage of sucrose by invertase to glucose and fructose.
- Epidermal cells contained low concentrations of sucrose, glucose and fructose, and no fructan.
- 1.1A syrup containing glucose and other sugars, made by hydrolysis of starch and used in the food industry.More example sentences
- Mix the icing sugar, water and glucose together and bring to the boil.
mid 19th century: from French, from Greek gleukos 'sweet wine', related to glukus 'sweet'.
More definitions of glucoseDefinition of glucose in:
- The British & World English dictionary