A metamorphic rock with a banded or foliated structure, typically coarse-grained and consisting mainly of feldspar, quartz, and mica.
- Corundum occurs as an accessory mineral in some metamorphic rocks, such as mica schist, gneiss, and crystalline limestone.
- Between the Dharwas leucogranite and Kilar there is a simple planar structure of interspersed pelitic gneiss and leucogranite bands with a regional foliation dipping to the south or southeast.
- The Borve Series is dominated by varieties of quartzo-feldspathic schist and gneiss, composed mainly of plagioclase, quartz, and biotite.
- Example sentences
- Scattered throughout the Pena Negra migmatites there are small bodies of Upper Proterozoic gneissic granodiorite and granite.
- The Cenozoic melanges, widely distributed in central and eastern Sabah, exclusively contain mixed mafic-ultramafic, chert, and Cenozoic sandstone blocks, and lack any granitic, gneissic, or otherwise ‘continental’ clasts.
- The tonalite is gneissic, banded on a decimetre scale, and loaded with discrete mafic enclaves, metasedimentary xenoliths and garnet, feldspar and rutile xenocrysts, such that the body has a migmatitic appearance.
- Example sentences
- There are also gray and fine grained red granites, and in some places they have taken a gneissoid form.
- The granodiorite deposits at Aswan are often gneissoid in texture, exhibiting parallel orientated feldspar phenocrysts.
- In the inner sulfide zone gneissoid textures resulting from complete and vigorous replacement of the country rock have resulted.
Mid 18th century: from German, from Old High German gneisto 'spark' (because of the rock's sheen).
Words that rhyme with gneissadvice, bice, Brice, choc ice, concise, dice, entice, ice, imprecise, lice, mice, nice, precise, price, rice, sice, slice, speiss, spice, splice, suffice, syce, thrice, top-slice, trice, twice, underprice, vice, Zeiss
Definition of gneiss in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.