noun (plural gobies)
A small, usually marine fish that typically has a sucker on the underside.
- Family Gobiidae: numerous genera and species
More example sentences
- This consists of killifishes, herrings, sardines, gobies, silversides, anchovies small mullets, and lizardfishes to name a few.
- Marine gobies are typically bottom-dwelling fish that live in shallow water.
- A shallow-water Caribbean tank showcases a green moray eel, gobies, and collections of Caribbean algae.
mid 18th century: from Latin gobius, from Greek kōbios, denoting some kind of small fish.
Definition of goby in:
- The British & World English dictionary