- A person who presents a child at baptism and responds on the child’s behalf, promising to take responsibility for the child’s religious education.More example sentences
- Even in a ‘private’ baptism, the godparents represent the community of faith.
- At the baptism, the Christian godparent would answer the questions that imply Christian belief.
- This is a lifelong relationship, and many godparents have managed to reconnect with their godson or goddaughter.
More definitions of godparentDefinition of godparent in:
- The British & World English dictionary