A swelling of the neck resulting from enlargement of the thyroid gland: a woman with a goiter the belief that amber necklaces were good for curing goiter
More example sentences
- There may also be swelling of the thyroid gland in the neck - a goitre.
- It is assumed that most elderly patients with subclinical hyperthyroidism have a multinodular goiter, but several other conditions should be considered in the differential diagnosis.
- Life changing operations such as hernia repairs and removal of a goiter of the thyroid gland were considered elective, a luxury, but are now being performed free of charge.
- Example sentences
- In Britain the best recognized region is the Peak District and this is the reason why this goitrous condition is known colloquially as ‘Derbyshire neck’: but iodination of table salt has now made it rare.
- A review of 15 cases of fetal goitrous hypothyroidism in the English literature is presented.
- Normal immunoglobulin levels have also been found in goitrous cases in other studies.
Definition of goiter in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.