Definition of gold plate in English:
1A thin layer of gold, electroplated or otherwise applied as a coating to another metal.
- Fans both young and old stood in awe at the trophy, which stands some three feet high and is made of 23-carat sterling silver, gold plate and the precious green stone malachite.
- On the left side of the frame is the Thunder Ranch logo in gold plate.
1.1Objects coated with gold.
- The best furniture, the tapestries, and the gold plate were gone, but the frescoes were not spattered with food and drink, the windows had not been hammered out, the furniture had not been shattered into slivers of teak and ivory.
- Banquets do tend to be more about the setting and the gold plate than the food itself, which has always been chosen to be impressive rather than delicious.
- Italy is a vibrant country and the area around Portofino is classic Italy, with a little gold plate to show that it is a cut above the rest.
1.2Plates, dishes, etc., made of gold.
- An inconspicuous gold plate next to it read ‘rare books.’
- She turned around, and just as she did, she saw a laser shoot out of the wall and reflect off of a gold plate, then a diamond ring, then one of the crystals.
- I turned around and glanced quickly at the gold plate on her desk.
verb(gold-plate) [with object] Back to top
Cover (something) with a thin layer of gold.
- The work of preparing the copper rings (some renewal of the old, some new) around the wooden mast and gold-plating them is going on.
- The electroplating guys had gold-plated it to Aldo Nova's specifications.
- In a system like this, it is unlikely that the gold-plating the connectors makes any difference at all, in terms of sound, durability, or otherwise, yet MidiLand does it anyway, which makes it all the more impressive.
Definition of gold plate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia